Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lie down With Dogs... Get Up With Fleas



It is absolutely astonishing, though not exactly unpredictable to watch the meltdown of Hillary Clinton's campaign while at the same time watching the kind of racist, ugly diatribe being spewed out of the mouth of someone like Geraldine Ferraro, who SHOULD know better, but obviously does not.

I am not a member of the "Obama campaign" that Ferraro accuses of attacking her, and I am not a member of the African American community that she so capriciously and stupidly attacked with her ugly racist commentary on Barack Obama. I am however, and unfortunately, used to seeing this kind of thing played out over and over and I am used to hearing people make remarks like, "I am not a racist, but..."

The problem is, there is always only one response to this sort of comment and that is simply, "YES...YOU ARE."

I have been trying for the last two days to come up with some kind of reasonably thoughtful, carefully worded response to Ms. Ferraro's idiotic remark (coupled with her even more greatly benighted response), but I am unable to find words that are better than those expressed last night by Keith Olberman.

This country suffers under an unbelievable legacy of racist horror and pain and I have lived with it and watched (from close up and from afar) for all of my life; from southern Florida, to border towns in Arizona, to liberal Northern California, to storm tossed New Orleans. Every time I think we are better... I find we are the still the same.

For me... at this time... I have had it.

There is only one choice in this election... there is only one HOPE in this time of despair.

After living through 53 years of the same old reality, I know that it is time for a CHANGE and Barack Obama is the ONLY CANDIDATE who offers that change. Beyond that we only have ugliness, power, and greed.

1 comment:

Don@PetalumaFilms.com said...

Dude, great post and you're right on about big Keith laying it down so perfectly. Your comments on racism are also spot-on but heres my thing....we've never addressed racism in the U.S. We just kind of passed a law saying "hey, you Jim Crow guys can't do that any more." But passing a law doesn't change peoples mindsets.

Ferraro is an older white woman who undoubtedly had/has parents who were alive in the time when it was o.k. to be outwardly racist, exclusionary and blind to the fact that that was wrong. I mean, they were lynching black people in their frigging uniforms when they came back from defending the U.S. in WW2! 60 years ago is not long. How can we as a nation hope to get past being racist when we've never faced it or even...helloooo...said "sorry" for it. As my momma said, saying sorry goes a long way.

Instead we continue to marginalize the African-American community and hope it goes away which was never clearer than it was (IS) in New Orleans.

My other point-and you and I have discussed this is-...the Dems simply...cannot....get...it...together. A few years back I knew they were going to trot Hillary out as "the" candidate and that was a bad idea back then. Now Obama has come outta nowhere, winning people over, providing a spark...and Hillary is trying to ruin that! It's ridiculous. She needs to drop out of the race now. I already said on my blog....if Hillary gets the nom, Hello President McCain.

But getting back to how scatter brained the Democratic party is...look at what G.W. Bush did to McCain....he whisper campaigned and "swift boated" him 8 years ago and McCain got the boot. Hillary is not only trying to do the same to Obama (and it's a disgsting, low tactic) but she's proving the Dems are not united as a party. One thing the Repubs do best is stay on freeking message.

Get it together Dems! Go Obama!!!!